Veganism is a worldwide movement of people who are not just Vegetarian but abstain eating any such thing that comes from an animal; Milk and eggs included. The term Vegan was coined in 1944 by Donald Watson while co-founding “VEGAN SOCIETY” in England.
Veganism In India & Its Benefits
There are several types of Vegans:
- Dietary Vegans: are those who refrain from consuming animal products.
- Ethical Vegans: applied to those who extend the philosophy from using animal products into other areas of lives and oppose the use of animals for any purpose.
- Environmental Vegan: refers to the avoidance of animal products on the premise that the industrial farming of animals is unsustainable and damaging.
Animals are those individuals who have a value independent of their usefulness to others.
Some reviews and researches show that people who follow a Vegan Diet have less Chronic Disease than people who do not follow a restrictive diet.
The food we eat is extremely important. With some dietary changes, a person can begin to feel better than before.
Why to go Vegan?
Choosing Veganism helps avoiding the exploitation of animals; this is not the only reason for turning into a Vegan but for many people it remains the key factor in their decision.
Here are several other reasons and benefits of going Vegan:
For Your Health: A well planned Vegan diet follows a healthy eating guideline and contains all the nutrients that our body needs. Both the British Dietetic Association (BDA) and American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AAND) have stated that they are suitable for every age and stage of life. It is a great opportunity to learn more about Nutrition.
For Your Environment: We are all aware of the ways to live a healthy and greener life; from recycling our household rubbish to cycling to work. The best thing an individual can do to lower their carbon footprint is to avoid all animal products.
For People: Plant-based living is sustainable way of feeding human family just like veganism is sustainable to look after our planet. A plant based diet requires only 1/3rd of the land.
Science-based Health benefits:
- Vegan Diet is richer in certain Nutrients.
- It is helpful in loosing excess weight.
- It lowers the risk of Heart Disease.
- A Vegan diet may protect against certain Cancers.
- Vegan diet reduces pain from Arthritis.
- Lowers Blood Sugar levels and improve Kidney functions.
VEGANISM IS NOT A DIET. It is a permanent change in your eating habits and lifestyle and also a social justice movement that becomes a part of our lifestyle. Diet is just one part of Veganism. It is based on Ethics. Health and Environment are side benefits.
Now!! Make a Switch:
- Eliminate animal products from the diet.
- Embrace Alternatives.
- Experiment and Enjoy.
- Try before you buy.
Article written by Sambhav Jain